Coolwater was one of the first lookout sites developed in the Lochsa-Selway country, built in 1915. One of the duties of early lookouts here was relaying heliograph messages from other lookouts that were not serviced by telephone lines. An L-4 cab was built in 1931, replacing a frame cabin. When the present 10' treated timber tower with L-4 cab was constructed in 1953, the earlier L-4 cabin was moved just below the summit for storage. The lookout is staffed every summer.
|Clearwater/Nez Perce National Forests|
|24 miles east of Kooskia|
|Idaho County, Idaho|