Long Tom has had a long history of structures, beginning with a 2-story log-frame cab in 1923, followed by a cabin and a barn in 1933. In the 1940's, an L-4 cab atop a log crib was built. This was ultimately replaced in 1977 with the current 10' concrete base with R-6 flat cab, located 1/2 mile south of the summit. It is staffed every summer.
Salmon National Forest
36 miles WNW of Salmon
Lemhi County, Idaho
Elevation 8168'

Click for larger image
Long Tom in 1940 Long Tom in 1964 Long Tom in 1992 Long Tom L.O.
Photos courtesy the Fire Lookout Museum, the National Archives and Records Administration, and Gary Weber