The mountain was named after the Berray brothers, Cap and Jim, who arrived in Noxon in 1887
and homesteaded on Bull River a few years later. First used about 1931 with a log cabin and
20' observation platform, in 1940 this was replaced with a 50 pole tower with L-4
cab. The present 30' treated timber tower with R-6 flat cab was built in 1965. The lookout
was staffed all during the 1930's and 1940's, then sporadically in the 1950's. It was regularly
staffed again in the 1960's and early 1970's, and has seen only occasional use since then. The
tower is on the National Historic Lookout Register.