In 1907, the first forest lookout on the then Cabinet National Forest (and in the state of
Montana) camped in a tent just below the summit of Squaw Peak. Three years later, Noxon's first
ranger, Granville "Granny" Gordon and his wife Pauline built the stone cabin that still stands at
the edge of the talus below the existing lookout. In 1930, the first L-4 cab, a gable-roof model,
was built on the summit, followed by the present L-4 cab in 1952. The Political Correctness Police renamed the summit
Star Mountain in 2004. Available for emergencies, it is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register.