Originally called Lookout Mountain, the name was changed to Tower Mountain in 1925 to avoid confusion with another Lookout Mountain nearby. The first structure was a 60' pole tower with 6x6' cab built in the 1920's. It was replaced by the present 92' Aermotor steel tower in 1935. The original ground cabin living quarters burned down in the late 1940's and was replaced by
the ground cabin from Lucky Strike L.O. The site is on the National Historic Lookout Register, and the lookout is staffed every summer.