Originally developed in 1938 with a 50' pole tower and L-4 cab, a 41' treated timber tower with R-6 flattop cab replaced it in 1963. The Forest Service staffed the lookout into the 1970's. The Washington Department of National Resources staffed it for a couple of seasons in the early 1980's. The tower was sold to Frank Scranton in 1985 and moved to his farm alongside Highway 395 just north of Chewelah, where it stands today.
Known lookout personnel - 1948-1950: Rachel Butte; 1951-1952: Mr. & Mrs. W. Gnagy; 1953: Mr. & Mrs. Ziegler Heilman.