Developed with a camp 1/4 mile south of the summit in 1909, a log cabin was added in 1918. Then a cupola cabin was built in 1925, followed up by a 40' pole L-4 in 1938. The U.S. Air Force developed the summit as a radar site after World War II. A 41' treated timber R-6 flat tower, constructed in 1964, was abandoned in the 1970's. With no guy cables or lightning hardware, the tower managed to stay upright through the 1980's when it was dismantled in 1989. The top 30' of the superstructure was moved to Big Meadow Lake west of Ione WA to become a wildlife observation tower.
Kaniksu/Colville National Forests
25 miles N of Newport
Pend Oreille County, Washington
Elevation 6173'
USGS Benchmark TO0817
USGS Benchmark TO0818

Click for larger image
North Baldy in 1925 North Baldy in 1925 North Baldy in 1933 North Baldy in 1983 North Baldy's tower now at Big Meadow Lake
Photos courtesy the U.S. Forest Service, the Fire Lookout Museum and Rex Kamstra